A serious illness can cause many symptoms such as pain, fatigue, nausea and anxiety. Treatments and medications can come with their own side effects. Palliative care is for any patient with a serious illness who is experiencing a decreased quality of life because of symptoms from either the disease, or treatment or both. Our goal is to improve the quality of your life so that you can get back to accomplishing your own goals.
What is Palliative Care?
Palliative care is a medical specialty that focuses on relieving the symptoms and stresses of a serious illness in order to maximize quality of life, according to the patient’s and family’s goals and aspirations.
Palliative care provides an added layer of support to you, your loved ones and your treating physicians.
Goals of Palliative Care
- Provide expert symptom management
- Optimize the quality of life for both patient and family
- Help patients and families better understand their condition and care choices
- Empower patients and families in managing complex illnesses
- Improve patients’ ability to undergo medical treatments
- Prevent frequent hospitalizations and emergency room visits
- Facilitate open discussions with patients and families regarding goals of care, concerns and wishes
- Help in navigating the healthcare system
- Assist in creating and updating advance care plans to include advance directives
- Collaborate with the current medical team to provide a comprehensive plan of care
Studies have shown that palliative care can improve quality of life, while extending life expectancy.
Our services are covered by Medicare, Medicaid, and many insurance plans. Call (512) 397-3360 if you have questions about your insurance coverage.
Austin Palliative Care
4107 Spicewood Springs Road, Suite 100
Austin, Texas 78759
P (512) 397-3360
F (512) 343-7107
Copyright © 2019 Austin Palliative Care . All rights reserved.